September 9, 2010

Name Placque Project


Good morning everyone!! This is Barb (Crafty Girl) with a simple little project! I decided I would share a project with you that I with my mother a few weeks ago!! My mom wanted to make a name placque for one of her friends so this is what we did!


We started by finding a 12x12 tile that was pretty neutral. Then I got out my Gypsy and designed the placque the way my mother wanted! (She's my mother... I have to do what she says!!)

Once we had decided on the sizes, I moved the pieces around on the mat so that they were grouped together to save paper. The last name and the corners were cut with the same cardstock. The large initial was cut with a patterned paper,
Once we laid the pieces on the tile to see how it looked, we decided that the "B" needed a little something to make it stand out on the tile. (We put newspaper behind the tile so it wouldn't scratch the table we were working on!)
So.... we decided to ink the edges of the "B"!
We laid it out again and liked the way it looked, so it was time to start glueing it down!
We started by brushing on some Mod Podge to the center of the tile using a foam brush. The key is to cover the surface without letting it get too thick and wet. If it gets too wet, the cardstock will start to buckle. Once the Mod Podge was on, we put the "B" on top.
While that was drying, we did the same thing with each of the corner pieces. We gave it a few minutes to dry, and then coated the entire tile with a new coat of Mod Podge.
We then followed the same procedure to add the entire last name over the initial.
Once the tile is dry, it is ready to display! It makes a great and inexpensive gift. I made several of these last year as gifts and had many requests to make more!

Thank you Sassy for a chance to share my project on your blog!

Barb  :)

13 comments:

Beatriz Farquhar-Guzman said...

Barb, this is so pretty! It makes a beautiful present. Thanks for sharing! I have to make one of these....

Mandy said...

Oh I just love it! Such a great idea!

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Barb this is such a great gift idea and will be perfect with the holidays just around the corner. TFS your great tutorial.

locridge1 said...

Very pretty what a good idea. Thanks.

mfc.melissamade2 said...

What a great gift idea! Can I ask where you get the little holder to put it on?? Thanks for sharing this tutorial - your tile turned out beautiful!
Melissa

Celeste B. said...

That is so pretty! My Mother-in-law and I have made a few of those - Mod Podge is one of my new favs! TFS!!

Sanguinartears said...

Neat idea. Very simple and pretty. Thanks for sharing. :)

Unknown said...

This is such an elegant gift idea!! Or, it would look great in my home too :-)

Thanks for sharing!!

Dana said...

Looks really nice...great gift idea. Thanks for sharing.

http://iwycd.blogspot.com/

Maria said...

What a wonderful gift idea!

Audrey Frelx said...

Barb, you did a wonderful job on the plaque!!! It looks great!

Kelli said...

This is beautiful. I make tiles also, but I haven't done a last name tile. I will have to try this. I love how you put the Letter and then the name on top.

Angi Barrs said...

I love home decor. Your project is FAB!