August 18, 2010

Kiss Cutting Vinyl


Hi, Becky here from Journey to Creativity with you today. Well summer is winding down and fall will be upon us shortly. I'm really looking forward to fall this year. I'm excited about all the fun things that are happening at She's a Sassy Lady. There has been a lot of fantastic talent added to our design team and I'm looking forward to what is in store for us this winter. I can't wait.

Now, let's get down to business. I have had several events lately where I needed to cut vinyl. So I researched kiss cutting vinyl and practiced until I figured out exactly how to kiss cut it correctly.

I purchased this water bottle on sale at Wal-Mart for $1. I needed a gift for a 30th anniversary at work and thought it would be great to add initials to it.

I started by putting lots of circles on my gypsy and then adding the initial K (for Karen) at the end.

I used the Gypsy font for the letter K. I got the perfect kiss cut by setting the pressure at medium and the blade depth at 4.


Here is the vinyl after peeling off the excess. The kiss cut was PERFECT!

I applied the polka dots and the initial to the water bottle and came up with this really cute gift.

Thank you Sheila for allowing me to come over and post on your blog today. I'm extremely honored to be amongst such a fabulous team of designers. I would love for you to visit my blog at Journey To Creativity and let me know how you will decorate your next project with vinyl.
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

12 comments:

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

What a cute gift idea that anyone can use. I'm sure the person receiving it will use it daily as we are always toting our water with us at work. TFS.

Unknown said...

What a great gift!! I love to "vinyl~ize" things!!

Connie said...

Great idea! I've been thinking about trying vinyl! Thanks for sharing.

Becky Roper said...

Kiss cutting is cutting only the vinyl and not the backing. You can then peel the vinyl from the back and it will leave your cut pieces in tact.

Sandy from Ukiah said...

What a wonderful gift

Unknown said...

I'm going to have to try this! My hubbie wants me to put his name on his hard hat! Do you know a good place to get vinyl at a reasonable cost? TFS! :)

Becky Roper said...

I have bought the vinyl at Wal-Mart and Hobby Lobby.

Audrey Frelx said...

Great! I'll have to do one of those for my dh to take with him every morning for his daily jog!

June said...

Love this project!!! Definitely a cute gift idea!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Cynde said...

I also have been using vinyl for a number of projects, including water bottles. My daughter is a cheerleader and I used it last year to distinguish her bottle. Just in case anyone is wondering, it goes through our dishwasher with no problems.

Cynde said...

Also...I found a good site if you need additional colors for vinyl. Our Joann's only carries brown, black, pink, white and some other basic colors.

A 12x24 sheet is only $1.89 (plus shipping). You don't have to order two sheets either, as in buying it from Cricut.

http://www.expressionsvinyl.com/

I also have a vinyl project that I just posted on my Blog: http://cyndepeterson.blogspot.com/

Gina said...

I love working with vinyl. I have had great success using 3-3-3 blade-pressure-speed settings with my Cricut to kiss-cut. I use GT5 vinyl from H&H and it goes through the dishwasher fine. I believe Cricut vinyl is better suited for wall applications. I avoid Hobby Lobby brand vinyl.