July 22, 2010

Let's Add Some "POP" To Those Pictures!

Hi everyone, it's Debbie from Love Life's Little Pleasures.  I'm so glad to be back as She's A Sassy Lady.  I wanted to share with you a 12 x 12 layout and show you how you can add dimension to your photos.
I don't know if you all know it or not, but besides scrapbooking, my other hobby is flower gardening.  I have a huge flower garden in my front yard, and flower beds all around my front porch and the sides of my house.  My deck is full of pots and lots and lots of flowers.  Last year I planted some Cosmos in my front flower bed and also started some from seed in planters on my deck.  The ones on my deck became quite tall and did not make for an attractive picture to use on a scrapbook layout.



So I decided, why not cut out the flower, add some pop up dots and use it on a layout.
The first thing I did was to print an extra picture of each flower. I then cut out the flower, added some pop up dots to the back and adhered it to the picture.
I used some lovely paper by Lily Bee Designs from the Lovely collection.  I love how the pinks and greens blended with my photos.  I wanted to add an elegant touch to my layout by adding a strip of  pink paper which I added a beautiful border using my Fiskars lace punch. After I was finished with the border punch I added some Orchid Pastel ink by Colorbox to the edges.
I thought it would look nice to add some green ribbon to the pink strip of paper.  Luckily for me the opposite side of the paper was dotted and I used by screw punch to punch out the holes.
Then I threaded a large needle with some lime green ribbon and threaded it through the holes.
After I applied my pink paper to the background, I added a smaller green piece and then another pink piece, all of which I inked with the Orchid Pastel ink. I cut out the title with my Cricut using Ashlyn's Alphabet skinny feature.  I adhered my title to an beautiful element from Pink Paislee, called Artisan Elements Swirls.  I added some Orchid Pastel ink to it.

The finishing touch . . . some Lily Bee rub ons
I hope you have enjoyed my step by step layout and will consider trying to add some "POP" to some of our pictures.
Until next time . . . Happy Scrapping!  
Debbie

20 comments:

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

Wow, Debbis the photos really do pop! Love the look and it looks like it is something I can do that will really enhance my photos! Thanks for the great tutorial. I love the ribbon threaded through the paper. LOVE IT!

Unknown said...

What a great layout! Love the POP! Your large flower looks real!

Dreama said...

Your flower & LO is beautiful. I've used prints of my flowers too, but have not cut around the flower...may have to try that. Thanks.

papillon digital design said...

Love the Pop. And love the threaded ribbon and the how you used screw punch to make even holes. TFS

Kelli said...

I love this idea. I will definitely have to try it. Also thanks for the screw punch idea, I never would have thought of using it for that purpose. Love it!

Angi Barrs said...

Love this idea. Will try this asap. It makes the layout more dimensional too. TFS

Lisa said...

Just beautiful! Thank you for such a great technique!

mfc.melissamade2 said...

Great idea!!! Love this - what a great way to use your photos!!
Melissa

Debbie Bakk said...

Just love the 3-dimensional look with those lovely flowers like how you threaded your ribbon also

Beatriz Farquhar-Guzman said...

Beautiful layout, love those edge punches and colors.

Michele said...

Wonderfully done! I do need to try this technique myself. TFS!

Lisa Kay said...

Oh My HECK! I love it! Thank you Thank you Thank you!
Lisa

Michelle said...

Great Instructions???

And, I love the colors and I'm a huge fan of Cosmos.... I had so many of them last year in my garden they are beautiful and very vibrant!!! This year the deer chomped them all away. So, i'll enjoy yours.

Take Care

Sandi Clarkson said...

Super idea Debbie!

Kerri said...

Very creative! I love cosmos!

Kerri

Sandy from Ukiah said...

I love your flower... what a great idea

Audrey Frelx said...

Wow, Debbie!!! What a wonderful layout and that flower really does look real!!! You've given me such wonderful "poppin" ideas with that one!

Great job, great tutorial!!!

Cheryl Boglioli said...

Debbie, this is great. I wouldn't have thought of popping up on the actual picture too. Love it. I also love all your step by step directions. Great job.

June said...

Very pretty LO!!!! I love the 3-D effect - thanks for the tip and thanks for sharing!!!!

TraciVee said...

Love that flower effect! I'm going to have to try that one day! Thanks so much for the inspiration :)